Search press releases

Advanced search options
Dial 999 in an emergency
Dial 101 in a non-emergency

Men who went on an eight-hour spending spree with stolen card jailed

Rajinder Singh of Stamford Road, Dalston, and Mohammed Sadek Malek of Ainsworth Road, Hackney appeared at the Old Bailey today (Friday, 17 March 2017) and were sentenced to 15 months and 11 months imprisonment respectively.

Following a three-day trial which concluded on Wednesday, 15 March Singh was found guilty of theft and fraud with the jury delivering a unanimous decision. Malek pleaded guilty to fraud at the start of the trial.

In the early hours of Saturday, 25 July 2015 the victim was picked up by 49-year-old Singh, believed to be taxi touting, close to a City bar on Smithfield Street and dropped off at his home address after a night out.

Later that morning, he tried to make a phone call and discovered that the SIM card in his mobile phone had been removed. The victim then found that his credit card was also missing.

After he dropped off the victim, Singh was joined by his friend Mohammed Malek and began a spending spree across London.

Over the course of the morning, £3,633.89 in unauthorised transactions were charged to the victim’s card. A further £1,912 worth of purchases were attempted but declined.

Singh used the victim’s SIM in his own phone to contact the credit card company and authorise some of the transactions.

Data gathered from Singh and Malek’s phones allowed detectives to link the pair’s whereabouts to the timeline of criminal activity.

Passing sentence, Recorder Simon Farrell QC said the victim had been in a ‘most vulnerable state’ and had placed his trust in Singh, who then went on to abuse this.

Detective Constable Oliver Gent from the City of London Police said: “Singh preyed on his victim, stole his credit card and used it, with Malek’s help, to spend thousands all around London.

“A sinister feature of this case was Singh’s forethought in taking the victim’s SIM card; this showed a degree of sophistication and planning.

“This investigation hinged on the evidence that the City of London Digital Investigation Unit were able to provide. Thanks to the hard work of all those involved these two men have been brought to justice.”

Share release